All are welcome here. St. Paul’s embodies this idea. We celebrate the diversity and inclusiveness of our parish each week as we gather together for the singular purpose of worshipping and glorifying God.
“Come and see.” Jesus says this to his disciples in the Gospel of John. At St. Paul’s we want you to come and see what newcomers, time and again, have described as one of the most welcoming churches they have ever attended. We want you to come and see a community that provides close, loving support for all who worship with us. Come and see, indeed!
1896: St. Paul’s Episcopal Church is built on Wesley Street and is consecrated by Bishop C. K. Nelson. The congregation would be dissolved in the early 1900’s.
1954: Several Coweta County families meet with Bishop Randolph Claiborne to express their need for reestablishing an Episcopal church in Newnan. The Bishop agrees and establishes a mission, giving spiritual responsibility to the Rev. Martin Dewey Gable, the vicar of St. Margaret’s Church in Carrollton, Georgia. The church meets at a local radio station until a proper church can be built.
1961: A location, previously owned by the Brewster family, is secured on Roscoe Road. The first services are held in the new church building on Easter Sunday.
1976: By the action of the Diocesan Council, St. Paul’s becomes an independent parish.
1984: Due to continued growth of the parish, a new nave and parish hall are built. The first services are held in the new nave on Easter Sunday.
1999: With a new rector, Rev. J. Russell Kendrick, and a highly energized congregation, St. Paul’s experiences another period of growth. The congregation begins designing a new, much larger worship space.
2003: The Right Reverend J. Neil Alexander, Bishop of Atlanta, consecrates our current church space.
2006: Office and meeting space are expanded thanks to a renovation of the Christian Education wing and completion of the Undercroft.
2015: Under the leadership of a new rector, Rev. Allan Sandlin, St. Paul’s Newnan formally retires its entire construction debt and is given full, outright ownership of its buildings.
2019: After serving as St. Paul's interim priest and priest-in-charge from 2016 to 2018, Rev. Hazel Smith Glover becomes rector, guiding the parish through a process of planning for the future. As the result of a generous gift, the church embarks upon a complete renovation of the Children's Wing and the consecration of a new Children's Chapel by Bishop Robert C. Wright.
2021: A transformational donation combined with many gifts, great and small, results in the construction of new gathering spaces, meeting rooms, hospitality foyer, walkway, porte-cochere, playground, and renovation of the kitchen and parish hall. These spaces are dedicated by Bishop Robert C. Wright.